Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fucking Statistics

Pedestrian Safety

The list of the most dangerous metro areas for walking is striking in its uniformity. Nine of the ten metro areas are in the South, and the top four are in Florida.
My mother sent me this earlier. Strangely enough, the other night when I was strolling my familiar path from work to home-- whereby I cross a couple of offramps, train tracks, and a freeway-- I'd considered how I was going to map my trek with less light than normal. I opted for the Live Oak route due to my familiarity with the streets and sidewalks. Usually, walking by night, one worries about the social element. The homeless, panhandlers, druggies, alkys, etc. But the actual safety of the street for me, as a pedestrian vs the elements, drivers, only occurred to me that night; subconsciously, I'm always aware. I watch where I step, I avoid construction areas and navigate high traffic areas with caution.

DFW is ranked #13 on this list. Houston Met. is #8. I've walked in both areas.

The study is detailed. Continuing...

Highest Fatality Rates

Neither DFW nor Houston Met. are in the top ten.

Fatality Rates by State for Persons 65+

This doesn't really apply to me, but I've noticed in my treks that many older folk do the same. Either by necessity or because it's the lifestyle they've chosen. Or it's both. Texas is absent from the top ten, but I am interested in where it ranks according to this particular study, considering:

Texas is #41 in Spending on Pedestrians and Bikers.

At 12.2%, I suppose Texas would be in the middle of the pack. But that percentage is overall, while table 3 is very specific (pedestrian fatalities 65+).

Here lies the Methodology

Q: Why are the walk rates so low?

A: Unfortunately, the Census Bureau’s journey-to-work data only captures the trips to work made on foot, excluding trips made on foot to school, to the corner grocery, or to visit friends. Further, respondents to the Census question may select only one mode. So if they walk to the train station or bus stop, and then ride public transit the rest of the way to work, they will likely choose bus or train, rather than walking as their primary mode of transportation to work. Nationally, Americans take about 9 percent of all trips on foot.
In order for studies to be that conclusive, the Census Bureau would need to ask specific questions that urge the questionee to make distinctions in what they do. Given the political climate of our nation and how "probing" the questions already are, I'm not sure how people would feel about being asked to be even more specific. If there is one thing that is certain from these numbers, it's that the majority of Americans do not walk.

My mother has a funny story about my uncle, who would hop in his truck and drive the two short blocks to the corner store as opposed to walking. He would say, "If I could drive my truck up the stairs to bed, I would." In his case, it was a testament to supreme indolence. I say that in general, that is one factor out of many.

In many metropolitan areas of the US, the population isn't as centralized as one would assume. There's the suburban diaspora where many Americans have branched out from the inner cities. As a result, you get people who still work downtown or in the city limits, but now have to commute from their homes to the jobs on a daily basis (in North Texas, there seems to be a new shift in the opposite direction-- some call this the new urban gentrification-- because it seems that areas of the inner city that were once the neighborhoods of "minorities" are now being pushed outward for new developments; I see this in many parts of my neighborhood). Many people I know drive 30 miles a day to and from work.

Weather is an issue in some areas, as well. I have to admit that I didn't do a whole lot of walking during the summer months when temps were in the triple digits.

Just something to think about.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment