I do declare, Brandie, you introduced me to facebook back in the day, and now this. So, in solidarity (not exactly) with your diet, this blog will be specifically dedicated to my newfound love for walking or strolling or hoofing it-- whichever colloquial idiom you choose to use-- and whatever ideas, stories, etc. pop into my head as a result.
To begin, I have to be honest about my motivations for taking on such an endeavor. Being that I live in big city, Texas, it's almost impossible to get around without a vehicle. The weather, for about 2/3 of the year is shitty, to say the least. Walking is not something one would think is practical here, but I've gotten more bold as the last couple of months have passed.
As someone who considers himself a writer, it's difficult not to romanticize certain environs: parks, foreign countries, etc., so it's only natural that I've romanticized this latest obsession of mine. From Charles Baudelaire and his notion of the flâneur-- the heroic ideal man-poet, Guy Debord and the French Situationists, to one of my favorite writers, Will Self, psychogeography has really grabbed my interest. In an obsessive way, perhaps I am replacing one obsession-- earning the love of a woman-- with another. **SUBTEXT**I should probably get laid**SUBTEXT**
Will Self talked about the connection one can make with one's surroundings just getting out and going somewhere you've never been. I don't have a car, but I've done a lot of bus-riding in the city, and it's been something of a rush for me. I walk out my front door and just walk the 3 some-odd miles to work. I've learned all the names of the streets between here and there, I've noticed things that I'd previously been oblivious to, and it's also a good way to let your mind wander.
Anyway, I'll write something a little more coherent and possibly even add photos and videos at a later date.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI was curious to see who was the new face in my box of followers - a tool that I fully appreciate in the blog world, because it brings that religious maniac charm, you know - and I see a blog entirely (very well written, I must say) in English! Wow.
So, now I am curious (damn Pandora's heritage)to know how you found me.
"As someone who considers himself a writer, it's difficult not to romanticize certain environs: parks, foreign countries, etc., so it's only natural that I've romanticized this latest obsession of mine. "
I don't consider myself a write, I don't get paid for writing, so... but that doesn't mean that I don't feel exactly the same way as you described there.
I hope you get somewhere, somewhere you want to.
hugs,
J
Hey!
ReplyDeleteSorry I didn't see this sooner! It doesn't notify me when I get messages or anything!
Thanks for the compliment and the wishes. I found you on "3 am magazine" actually. I read one of your stories. It was interesting; very good, actually. I followed a few links, and there I was. Being that it's all written Portuguese, I use my knowledge of Spanish (and google translator, which SUCKS!) and that helps enough.
It's neat... you have an interesting voice. So yeah. That's how I found you. :)
Thanks again.